In 1936, W. T. Harris opened his first grocery store in Charlotte, N.C. Meanwhile, Willis L. Teeter and his brother, Paul, opened their first Teeter's Food Mart in 1939. In 1960, Harris Super Markets and Teeter's Food Marts officially merged to form Harris Teeter. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ruddick Corporation. It operates a chain of food markets in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. Harris Teeter operates more than 150 retail stores, as well as various grocery, frozen food and perishable distribution centers. It offers a range of food items, including meat, seafood and produce. The company organizes a fresh foods program that includes more than 800 bakery and deli products and offers daily samples to its customers. In addition, Harris Teeter operates several Hunter Farms milk and ice cream facilities in North Carolina. Its VIC program provides special savings and benefits, as well as rewards and free groceries. In addition, the company provides weekly specials and in-store rewards. Harris Teeter employs more than 18,000 employees. Headquartered in Matthews, N.C., it maintains a presence in Fort Mill, S.C.