Arlington is a city in Brookings and Kingsbury counties in the U.S. state of South Dakota. The population was 915 at the 2010 census.
The city was founded by the Western Town Lot Company in 1880, and originally named Nordland, with the platted streets given Norwegian names. The city was renamed a few years later, and in 1885 given the name of Arlington, after the colonial center in Virginia. (It was briefly named Denver in the interlude, but postal authorities did not approve of the name.) The streets were not renamed until several decades passed, with Olaf Street eventually changed to Main Street, Kanut Street to Third Street, etc.
Arlington is located at 44°21′52″N 97°8′5″W / 44.36444°N 97.13472°W / 44.36444; -97.13472 (44.364322, -97.134646), primarily in Kingsbury County.