Established in 1895, Cleveland Fire Department offers protection to the citizens of Cleveland City through its five stations. With its coverage area of more than 84 square miles, the fire department provides protection to 2 high schools, 2 middle schools, 14 elementary and private schools as well as 4 assisted living centers and 3 nursing homes. The department's fire safety house is equipped with a nontoxic smoke machine, smoke detectors and red strobe lights as well as generators. Besides offering fire prevention services to large industries in Cleveland and Bradley Counties, the department provides protection to railways, petroleum pipelines, Interstate 75 and the U.S. Highway 11. It also participates in many events to promote fire safety and importance of smoke detectors.