Converse Water Blg Dept

405 S Seguin Rd
Converse TX 78109
Reviews
{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics

Opening Hours

  • Mon: 8am-5pm
  • Tue: 8am-5pm
  • Wed: 8am-5pm
  • Thu: 8am-5pm
  • Fri: 8am-5pm

Payment

  • American Express
  • ATM/Debit
  • Visa
  • Discover
  • MasterCard
  • Cash

See a problem? Let us know!
As the City of Converse continues to grow, it owes much to its rich and deep history to the past. Converse is located on Farm Road 1976 thirteen miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in northeastern Bexar County. It was named for the chief engineer of the Southern Pacific Railroad, Major James Converse, who in 1877 bought a tract of land including the town site. A post office was established in 1878 and by 1885 a population of thirty was reported. In 1896 the town had a saloon, two cotton gins, and a grocery store. In 1900 the community, originally settled by German farmers, reportedly had the oldest 4-H Club in Texas. A singing society, the Salatrillo Liederkranz, had been active for many years. The population in 1946 was 175; by 1965 the town had twenty-two businesses and 900 residents. Converse had become a suburb of San Antonio. In 1990 the community had a population of 8, 887, and in 1991 it had seventy-three businesses. In 2000 the population had grown to 11, 508 with 390 businesses. Today (2009), it is estimated to be at approximately 16, 000 residents. Converse was formally incorporated in 1961 as a municipality, with around 250 homes. The city, operating under a home rule charter, has a council-manager form of government: Mayor Al Suarez, City Manager Sam Hughes, Assistant City Manager John Quintanilla, and City Secretary Adriana "Penny" Hieronymus. The City Council includes John Shadron, Carlton Degenhardt, Mary Riley, Jon Lingren and Renee Paschall. It is now a bustling town of approximately 16, 000 along FM 78, midway between Interstates 35 and 10 with easy access to shopping and services. Other major thoroughfares include Loop 1604, FM 1516, Toepperwein and Kitty Hawk Roads providing accessibility to San Antonio, Central and South Texas. The City of Converse is experiencing phenomenal growth and has been labeled one of the fastest growing cities within the NORTHEAST METROCOM. The expansion of our borders and economic growth specifically target the needs of our residents and business partners. Any visitor to Converse will notice the expansive 250-unit Town Square apartment complex between South Seguin Road and FM 78. The Town Square project was designed and built with a 19th century feel and includes a bandstand/gazebo as the focal point. The complex already has space for a variety of retail shops and professional offices. This same period-charm development theme will continue during the coming years as plans move forward to create a downtown setting where residents and visitors congregate for recreation, shopping, and fine dining. The Town Square has been several years in the making, and involved city, county, state officials, the Converse Economic Development Corporation members, developers and property management representatives that took a cardboard vision and made it a reality. Over the past 2 to 3 years many significant city improvements and additions have been completed. Next door to Town Square is the Ed J. Kneupper Justice Center, which was aptly renamed in honor of the city's first mayor and fire chief. The Police Department, Emergency Dispatch Center and Municipal Court operate out of this center. The proximity of these city offices within the central part of the city affords our citizens quick and efficient responses in the event of an emergency. Another Fire/EMS Station was dedicated in 2006. This $1.4 million station fronts Thornton Lane and provides quick access to Boysville, Judson High School, residential developments in that part of the city, Loop 1604 and IH10. Voters approved the expansion in the May 2004 election and the city responded with the station's opening two years later. This new station distinguishes Converse by being the first Bexar County suburb to open a second fire station. This station also provides fire and EMS service to San Antonio's Northhampton subdivision. In 2006-07 Converse negotiated the annexation of 110 acres of land along FM 78, formerly in San Antonio's "extra terri