Matador is a town in and the county seat of Motley County, Texas, United States. The population was 740 at the 2000 census. In 1891, it was established by and named for the Matador Ranch. It is located ninety-five miles east of Lubbock, Texas.
The Matador Ranch was consolidated in 1882 by a Scottish syndicate, and a post office opened at Matador in 1886.
At the end of the 19th century, townspeople freed the community from domination by the Matador Ranch, which was liquidated in 1951, by relocating non-ranch families there and electing their own slate of officials.