Church Hill, TN
Church Hill is a city in Hawkins County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 5,916 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Kingsport–Bristol (TN)–Bristol (VA) Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is a component of the Johnson City–Kingsport–Bristol, TN-VA Combined Statistical Area – commonly known as the "Tri-Cities" region.
The City of Church Hill was incorporated in 1958, though the community was established as a trading post and stagecoach stop called "Spencer's Mill" in the late 18th century. The name Church Hill came later, following the establishment of a Methodist Church "on the hill" overlooking the Holston River Valley. The church still stands today on Grandview Street downtown.
One of Church Hill's most notable landmarks is Canton Hall an Antebellum Mansion built by slave hands and owned by the Hoard family. Other landmarks include Smith Place, built in the early 20th century and the site of Carter's Store, home to the first settlers west of the Appalachians.