Cleveland is a city in Bradley County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 41,285 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Bradley County. It is the principal city of and is included in the Cleveland, Tennessee Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Chattanooga, Tennessee-Cleveland, Tennessee Combined Statistical Area.
Cleveland was established in 1837 as a county seat for Bradley County, which had been created the previous year. The town was named after Colonel Benjamin Cleveland, a commander at the Battle of Kings Mountain during the American Revolution.
In 1819, the Cherokee Agency— the official liaison between the U.S. government and the Cherokee Nation— was moved to the Hiwassee area, a few miles north of what is now Cleveland. The Indian agent at the time was Colonel Return J. Meigs. Charleston and Blythe's Ferry (about 15 miles, or 24 kilometers, west of Cleveland) would both figure prominently in the Cherokee Removal in the late 1830s.