Brownwood is a city in and the county seat of Brown County, Texas, United States. The population was 18,813 at the 2000 census.
The original site of the Brown County seat of Brownwood was on the east of Pecan Bayou. A dispute arose over land and water rights, and the settlers were forced to find a new location. Greenleaf Fisk donated sixty acres re-locate the county seat to the west side of the bayou, on what is now the current site of Brownwood, and one hundred additional acres for county use. The town was incorporated in 1884.
During the Second World War, Brownwood was the location of U.S. Army Camp Bowie, which had a peak complement of over 80,000 soldiers. Camp Bowie serves as a training camp today at the intersection Farm-to-market roads 45 and 2126.