Bullard is a town in northern Cherokee and southern Smith Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. It lies at the intersection of U.S. Route 69 and Farm-to-Market Roads 2137, 2493, and 344, about 12 miles south of Tyler. The population was 1,150 at the 2000 census.
The town lies in two counties. The Smith County portion of the city is part of the Tyler Metropolitan Statistical Area, while the Cherokee County portion is part of the Jacksonville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Bullard was earlier known as Etna and Hewsville. The town is named for John H., a Confederate soldier, and Emma Eugenia (Erwin) Bullard. In 1881, John Bullard opened the Hewsville post office in his store. In 1883 the Etna post office, near Hewsville, was closed. Then the Hewsville office was renamed Bullard. Many rural residents in northern Cherokee County are served by the Bullard post office. The bypassing of the railroad brought about the demise of Etna and the rise of Bullard.