Carrollton is a city in Denton County, Dallas County and Collin County in the U.S. state of Texas. As of 2005, census estimates the city's total population to be 122,699. Carrollton is a suburb of Dallas. The city of Carrollton has been named to America's 2006 Top 100 Places to Live for 2006 by Relocate America. Also, in 2006, Carrollton was selected as the 19th best place to live in the United States by Money magazine. It was later named the 15th best place to live among small cities in 2008 by Money magazine.
The area was first settled by Jared Ford in 1842 by William and Mary Larner on a site within the Peters Colony grant. In 1844, the A. W. Perry family claimed land in the area around Trinity Mills, where, in partnership with Wade H. Witt, a mill was established.
The English colony, a group of families in the northeastern area of settlement which crossed into Denton County, was home to large landowners including the Furneaux, Jackson, Morgan, and Rowe families. It is most likely that Carrollton was named for Carrollton, Illinois, the original home of many of these settlers.