Kern Place, TX
El Paso TX
See a problem? Let us know!
Kern Place was founded by Peter Kern, for whom the neighborhood was named. Kern was a promoter, a businessman, a philosopher and a traveler. Kern first came to El Paso in 1881 when he was in his early twenties. He saw El Paso as a growing city with great potential in the newly arrived railroad. He began a jewellery store that became quite successful in a town of saloons, brothels and gambling houses.
While in the jewellery business, Kern began to purchase a considerable amount of land around El Paso, including an undeveloped Northwest mesa of sandy hills. While Kern enjoyed great success early on, within 10 years of arriving in El Paso, he lost his once successful jewelry business, and then his wife and daughter abandoned him. Bankrupt and alone, Kern packed his belongings and headed to the gold rush in Alaska. There, he opened another jewellery store and profited well.