Guthrie, TX

{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics

Guthrie is a Census Designated Place in King County in the U.S. state of Texas. It is the county seat of King County. It lies at the junction of U.S. Routes 82 and 83 ninety-six miles east of Lubbock, and serves as the principal headquarters of the Four Sixes Ranch. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 160.
Guthrie is located at 33°37′14″N 100°19′22″W / 33.62056°N 100.32278°W / 33.62056; -100.32278 (33.621341, -100.8322).
Guthrie's history begins in 1883, when the Louisville Land and Cattle Company in Louisville, Kentucky purchased several hundred acres in what later became King County. Named after Louisville Land and Cattle stockholder W.H. Guthrie, the community's townsite was platted in 1891 by A.C. Thackitt, who had built Guthrie's first residence. When King County was organized that same year, Louisville Land and Cattle proposed the platting of a company townsite, to be named Ashville, to serve as the county's seat. Thackitt strongly opposed this proposition and led a charge to bring the seat to Guthrie instead. Thackitt's hotly contested campaign ultimately proved successful, and he not only succeeded in making Guthrie the county seat but was also elected to serve as King County's first county judge. Late in 1891, the Guthrie post office opened to the public.