Hallsville is a city in Harrison County, Texas, United States, located 13 miles (21 km) west of the county seat, Marshall on U.S. Highway 80. The population was 2,772 at the 2000 census.
The area of Hallville was first settled when the train station was settled around and named after Elijah Hall 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the site of Fort Crawford by W. C. Crawford. In 1849 the fort is reported to have had two post offices and a two-story building that served as church, Masonic hall, and school. In 1869, when an independent Southern Pacific Railway crossed 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Fort Crawford, the settlers moved to the railroad and named the new settlement for a railroad official Hall. A post office named Hallsville opened in 1869. From 1869 to 1872 the town was the terminus of the railroad, and the railroad company built a general office and machine shops there to help service the unit.
In 1870, Hallsville was incorporated. In 1872, when the Texas and Pacific acquired the railroad and built out to Longview in Gregg County,Texas, Hallsville lost much of its western trade. In 1873 the railroad moved its local headquarters and shops to Marshall, Texas. Hallville's incorporation lapsed, and the community lost many of its people to Marshall in the later 1870s. In 1884 it had an estimated 600 inhabitants, three churches, six sawmills, six grist millgins, a hotel, two saloons, and a cooperative association. By 1892 the population had fallen to 300, but it recovered to 600 in the 1900s. In 1904 the Hallsville school district had two schools serving 180 white pupils and one school serving 111 black pupils. A bank opened in the community in 1909. In the 1920s the post office changed the spelling of its name to Hallsville. The community reincorporated in 1935.