Marlin is a city in Falls County, Texas, United States. The population was 6,628 at the 2000 census, but decreased to 5,967 by 2010. It is also the (third) county seat of Falls County, and has been so since 1851. Marlin has been given the nickname the Hot Mineral Water City of Texas when mineral waters were found in 1892.
The city of Marlin is located about four miles (6 km) east of the Brazos River, which runs straight through the center of the county. That was the site of Sarahville de Viesca, in which was established by Sterling Clack Robertson in the year of 1864. Marlin was later incorporated in 1867, and was named after a pioneer patriot, John Marlin. His son-in-law was Samuel A. Blain. Blain laid out streets and lots, and drafted a map around a square. Three churches—a Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist—were given lots first, and relocated to the east side of the square. Zenas Bartlett's General Store was the first business to be established in Marlin. When Bartlett's wife died, the general store was deeded to the city and used as a town hall. A simple brick building temporarily stood as a school. The first of four county courthouses was a log cabin. It was used for county business and court, a school, a church, a meeting place for political and community events, and as a dance hall. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 and 1939, after the third courthouse, which was built in 1887, was declared unsafe.
Before the county of Falls was organized, the settlement of Marlin already had established private schools. A tuition school, Marlin Male and Female Academy was located on Ward Street in 1871, north of the public square. The school was renamed and relocated before finally being sold in 1886, only to be destroyed by fire in 1900. A replacement, brick school was constructed in 1903. Marlin I.S.D. (Independent School District) was established in 1923. Nearly half a century before in 1875, two other schools for blacks were organized. The two black schools were dependent on state funds, and met in the African and Baptist churches. In 1916, the city council voted to build a school for blacks, which after it was first built, it was moved to Commerce Street, (where it is still located today) and named Booker T. Washington. In 1900, the town's Jewish residents organized a Sunday School.