See a problem? Let us know!
In 1839, a branch post office at Lee Highway and Pollard Street was named Cherrydale, with reference to Dorsey Donaldson's large cherry orchard in back of the present firehouse. Quincy Street was then known as Cherry Valley Road. Settlement in this area began after the Civil War and was stimulated in 1906 by the establishment of The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway Line. Abandoned in 1935, the track bed became Old Dominion Drive. Military Road was cut through broken and densely wooded country by Army Engineers in 1861 to connect the isolated defensive works at Chain Bridge (Forts Marcy and Ethan Allen) with the Arlington Line.
Arlington Ridge - Ballston - Cherrydale - Clarendon - Courthouse - Crystal City - Fairlington - Glencarlyn - Lyon Village - Pentagon City - Rosslyn - Shirlington - Virginia Square - Westover