In 1914, the Pittsylvania County School Board gave permission for the two-room Allen School to be used as the meeting place for a Sunday School. Meeting on Sunday afternoons and taught by leaders from other Danville churches, this Sunday School was organized to attend to the spiritual needs of families with a Christian Church background who had moved into the area that is now North Danville. In the summer of that year, Rev. S.B. Klapp of Elon College, NC, was asked to preach one Sunday each month. The growth of this Sunday School lead to the establishment of Third Avenue Congregational Christian Church on October 25, 1914. In the autumn, a revival was used by God to kindle enthusiasm, and the congregation grew from twenty-eight members to a group too large for the school building to accommodate. The dream of a Church building was realized two years later on the first Sunday of January in 1916, when services were held in the first church building, consisting of a forty0by-sixty foot auditorium and three Sunday School classrooms.