The area was first settled in 1760 by planter George Waller, an officer in the state militia who was later promoted to Colonel, and his wife Ann Winston (Carr), first cousin of statesman Patrick Henry, as a protected ford across the Smith River. The local militia trained on Col. Waller's acreage. The settlement was subsequently known as Waller's Ford for over a century. A Virginia Historical Highway Marker unveiled in September 2007 marks the location of Col. Waller's plantation. In 1916, Marshall Field & Company purchased the site from the Waller heirs and established Fieldcrest Mills, the town of Fieldale, and an 8,500-square-foot (790 m2) company clubhouse, all completed in 1919. Fieldale was the first town in southwestern Virginia with sidewalks, electric lighting, and municipal water and sewer.
Fieldale is located at 36°41?59?N 79°56?22?W / 36.69972°N 79.93944°W / 36.69972; -79.93944 (36.699850, -79.939482).