Chester is a town in Windsor County, Vermont, United States. The population was 3,044 at the 2000 census. The town was originally chartered by New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth as Flamstead in 1754. The terms of the charter were not met and the town was re-chartered as New Flamstead in 1761. In 1766 a patent was issued by New York that changed the name of the town to Chester, after George Augustus Frederick, the Earl of Chester and the eldest son of King George III. But the governing authority of Chester reverted to the 1761 charter by an act of the Vermont legislature, although it left the name "Chester" in place. 2011 is the 250th anniversary of the town.
Chester is famous for its "stone village", listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This section of the town is located along Vermont Route 103 in North Chester, across the Williams River from Chester Center. It is known for the many houses made of local granite, and is a popular tourist destination.