Highlawn Presbyterian Church

2814 Collis Ave
Huntington WV 25702
Reviews
{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics

Opening Hours

  • Mon: 9am-2pm
  • Tue: 9am-2pm
  • Wed: 9am-2pm
  • Thu: 9am-2pm
  • Fri: 9am-2pm
  • Sun: 9am-12pm

See a problem? Let us know!
About Highlawn Presbyterian Church The roots of Highlawn Presbyterian Church can be found in a group known as the Highlawn Mission, which was colony of the First Presbyterian Church of Huntington, WV. The Highlawn Mission began meeting in 1910 in a room above the old Highlawn Pharmacy. Under the direction of Rev. William E. Hudson, Highlawn Presbyterian Church was organized on 30 October 1913 as the Third Presbyterian Church. The first pastor was Rev. A. J. Allsup, who led worship in a small chapel on 26th Street which was purchased by First Presbyterian Church. In April 1919, Rev. W. P. Hooper became the pastor and the name of the church was changed to Highlawn Presbyterian Church in June 1919. Growing from the original membership of 20, HPC purchased the lot on Collis Avenue where the church currently resides. Construction began on 22 October 1922 and dedicated on 30 September 1923 for a total cost of $50, 000, including furnishings. The Depression struck the country in 1929 and HPC was not left unscathed. The debt on the church was nevertheless paid off through the dedication of the members and the tireless efforts of Treasurer Charles North. After the war, The Education Building was built in 1954 and renovations were made on other areas of the church, including the parlor, pastor's office and kitchen. The church continued to grow through the 1950s and 1960s. Harry Fleming started a Presbyterian basketball league in the city and games were played in the old Fellowship Hall ( now the basement ). "Cap" Fleming is remembered as not only a popular basketball coach, but as a Christian teacher who not only made his players better at the game, but better people as well. The Highterian made its debut in March 1953 with Gretchen Bernhardt and Nancy Weider as its editors. The Shantz pipe organ was purchased in 1969 and the sanctuary was remodeled to accommodate the new organ. The current incarnation of HPC was completed when the Fellowship Hall was completed in 2001. We look forward to continuing the tradition of community outreach, Christ-centered education and evangelical mission that was made so important by the ministers of our church, William Hudson, A. J. Allsup, W. P. Hooper, Albert J. Conley, Jack Haga, and Mark McCalla. Thanks to Debbie Shonk, Phyllis Primm, Cec Hollar and Harold Schoenlein for their work on the history of HPC.