Kaukauna /kəkɔːnə/ ( listen) is a city in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, United States, on the Fox River, approximately 100 miles (161 km) north of Milwaukee, with a population of 12,983. It is a part of the Appleton, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Appleton-Oshkosh-Neenah, Wisconsin Combined Statistical Area with a combined population of around 350,000. It is considered the easternmost of the Fox Cities.
Prior to 1880, and shortly afterwards, Kaukauna was known as "The Lion on the Fox." This nickname was changed to "The Electric City" upon the completion of the hydroelectric plant. When the city was incorporated in 1885, it was separated from the adjacent, and still rural, parts of the town. The first land deed in Wisconsin was given to Charles A. Grignon, who built a mansion on the river on Kaukauna's north side. The home, which bears Grignon's name, is operated as a museum by the Outagamie County Historical Society.
The city is divided into the North Side and South Side by the Fox River, which is spanned by five bridges.