Wonewoc is a village in Juneau County, Wisconsin, United States, along the Baraboo River. The population was 834 at the 2000 census.
The name “Wonewoc” is of Native American origin, probably meaning "howling hills". George and Lucinda Willard first settled the area in 1851. The town was incorporated as a village in 1878, and once the railroad was built village growth exploded. The population of the town was largely settled by Yankee colonists from New England, according to the 1860 census.
When the railroad era ended Wonewoc’s growth halted. Wonewoc is now a quiet, scenic town known for its beauty and close-knit community.