Hillsboro is a town in Pocahontas County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 243 at the 2000 census.
Hillsboro was named for pioneer John (Richard) Hill, from North Carolina, who built a log cabin near what is now Lobelia. Most of the early settlers were Scotch-Irish and worked in agriculture and stock raising.
Back in the 1800s the town of Hillsboro centered on the educational institution Little Levels Academy. Established in 1842, the school closed 18 years later at the onset of the Civil War. In 1865, the county purchased the building and ran it as a public school through the 1880s, and it became a school of higher order for boys called Hillsboro Academy. The basement of the Methodist Church served as a school of high order for girls called Hillsboro College, or Little Levels Seminary. Eventually the brick Academy was torn down and replaced by a wood frame school for both boys and girls. Later the school was re-built in brick as Hillsboro High School.