Moundsville is a city in Marshall County, West Virginia, along the Ohio River. It is part of the Wheeling Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 9,998 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Marshall County. The city was named for the Grave Creek Mound. Moundsville was settled in 1771 by Samuel & James Tomlinson. (Elizabethtown, as Tomlinson's community was called, was incorporated in 1830. Nearby, the town of Mound City was incorporated in 1832. (The two towns combined in 1865.) Fostoria Glass Company (specializing in hand blown glassworks) was headquartered in Moundsville from 1891 to 1986. The retired West Virginia State Penitentiary operated in Moundsville from 1867 to 1995.
Moundsville is located at 39°55′17″N 80°44′22″W / 39.92139°N 80.73944°W / 39.92139; -80.73944 (39.921490, -80.739368).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.4 square miles (8.7 km²), of which, 2.9 square miles (7.6 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.1 km²) of it (12.50%) is water.