Sutton is a town in Braxton County, West Virginia, in the United States. The population was 1,011 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Braxton County. Sutton is situated at a center of transportation in West Virginia. Interstate 79, a major north-south route, connects with Appalachian Corridor L (U.S. Route 19), another significant north-south route, just a few miles south of town.
Sutton was settled in 1792 by Adam O’Brien, from Bath County, Virginia. In 1809, John D. Sutton settled at the confluence of Granny’s Creek and the Elk River, at the edge of the present town. The village of Suttonville, formerly known as Newville, was laid out in 1835. When Braxton County was formed in 1836, the first court was held in the home of John D. Sutton.
Sutton was a transportation hub. In addition to the navigable Elk River, the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike connected the Staunton and Parkersburg Turnpike to the James River and Kanawha Turnpike, via Sutton. A suspension bridge was constructed on the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike across the Elk River at Sutton in 1853.