Avery is a census-designated place (CDP) in Calaveras County, California, United States. The population was 646 at the 2010 census, down from 672 at the 2000 census. Avery is located on State Route 4 and is home to the oldest continually operating hotel in the county, the Avery Hotel Restaurant & Saloon. Built in 1853, it was known as the "Half Way House," being located between Murphys, Arnold, and Calaveras Big Trees State Park.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.5 square miles (11.7 km²), all of it land.
The place is named after George J. Avery, its first postmaster. The first post office was established in 1885, closed in 1943, and re-established in 1949.