Niland (formerly, Imperial Junction, Old Beach, and Hobgood) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Imperial County, California. The town is located 8 miles (13 km) north of Calipatria, 2 miles (3 km) southeast of Salton Sea. The population was 1,006 at the 2010 census, down from 1,143 at the 2000 census. It is part of the 'El Centro, California Metropolitan Statistical Area'.
The Old Beach post office operated from 1905 to 1907. The Imperial Junction post office opened in 1910, changed its name to Hobgood in 1913, and to Niland in 1914. The name Hobgood honors pioneer Richard H. Hobgood. The name Niland was coined by the Imperial Farm Lands Association from "Nile Land" a commendatory name for the supposed fertility of the place.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Niland had a population of 1,006. The population density was 2,504.8 people per square mile (967.1/km²). The racial makeup of Niland was 539 (53.6%) White, 36 (3.6%) African American, 20 (2.0%) Native American, 36 (3.6%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 315 (31.3%) from other races, and 60 (6.0%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 618 persons (61.4%).