Oak Hill, FL
Oak Hill is a city in Volusia County, Florida, United States. The population was 1,378 at the 2000 census. As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 1,454.
The City of Oak Hill is the southernmost city in Southeast Volusia County. The location is rich in early Florida history. It was the site of an Indian village called Surruque el Viejo near el Baradero de Suroc, which was seen on LeMoyne’s map of 1564. Several English settlers were in the area during the later 18th century. Seminole Wars chased away northern timber cutters who named their camp Oak Hill. Arad Sheldon, a resident of that time 1856, took the four bodies massacred just to the north by wagon to New Smyrna Beach.
Following the Territorial Days of Florida, permanent settlers began moving into the area. Statehood seemed to provide stability for organized communities. By the Civil War Years, Oak Hill was changing: a salt works was operating, part-time stores were open, and Mitchell had planted the first orange grove. Following the war, settlers began arriving in the area from many places. The local cemetery has eleven Civil War veteran burials – five unions and six confederates.