Southgate is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 30,136 at the 2000 census.
Southgate was the last city to incorporate from the former Ecorse Township, gaining city status in October 1958. The city is bounded by Goddard Road and Brest to the north, M-85/Fort Street and Quarry Road to the east, Pennsylvania Road to the south, and Allen Road to the west. Fordline street also serves as a border between Southgate and Lincoln park between Brest and Goddard.
Southgate currently houses the headquarters of The News-Herald, a local Downriver newspaper which covers over twenty surrounding communities. During the late 1950s and 1960s, The Southgate Sentinel, a Mellus newspaper, was published.