Maxton is a town in Robeson County and Scotland County Counties, North Carolina, in the United States. The population was 2,551 at the time of the 2000 U.S. Census.
The Maxton area was first settled in the 1700s. The community was incorporated in 1874 under the name of Shoe Hill. The name changed to Tilden, in honor of 1876 U.S. President candidate Samuel J. Tilden. The name reverted to Shoe Hill in 1881 before finally settling on Maxton in 1887.
Maxton is the location of two former, but historically important schools. Floral College was founded in 1841. It was the first college in North Carolina to grant degrees to women. Charles N. Hunter a famous African-American educator who would go on to found the North Carolina Industrial Association opened his first school in Maxton.