Piedmont is a census-designated place (CDP) along the Saluda River in Anderson and Greenville counties in the U.S. state of South Carolina. The population was 4,684 at the 2000 census.
The Greenville County portion of Piedmont is part of the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley Metropolitan Statistical Area, while the Anderson County portion is part of the Anderson Metropolitan Statistical Area.
After the American Revolution David Garrison Sr. settled in the SC Indian Territory about 1786 at a place known to the Indians as "Big Shoals of the Saluda". The name of this location was changed to "Garrison Shoals" by David Sr. where he, along with son David Jr. owned a grist mill, tavern and 1200 acres of land. It would later become known as Piedmont, Greenville County, South Carolina when the name was changed once again by the owner of the first successful cotton mill of the area who had purchased the original mill's property from David Sr. David Sr's property was located between Piedmont and Pelzer on Golden Grove Creek of the Saluda River where he appears on the 1790 Census and he is known as the founder of Piedmont